GoPro has become one of the best and easiest ways to capture a whole variety of footage. Whether it is sport, dashcam footage or security camera footage, you can easily record and hook this up to your computer.
Once you have done this, simply drag and drop the files into your editing software and you’re ready to edit. GoPro footage is often very high quality, so you won’t have to worry about it stuttering or causing you glitches.
So where can you find the best laptops for your editing needs? What features should these laptops have? What is the ideal material for an editing laptop? What are the design functions and the accessories that this laptop should have? How much will you have to pay for a laptop that is good for GoPro editing?
Well, if you want the answers to these questions and a whole lot more, we suggest that you keep reading this article. We’ll go through all the top-of-the-range laptops, giving you the breakdown of things like RAM, CPU speed, backlighting and even how good the hotkeys are on the keyboard.
Review of Laptops For GoPro Video Editing
Acer Aspire 5 Slim Laptop
This first laptop is probably one of the cheapest that you can get on the market. It is a budget machine that comes with an Intel Core i5 processor, 8GB memory and 256GBs of SSD storage. It also comes with a graphics card made by NVIDIA, which is one of the leading manufacturers of graphics cards in the world – introducing the Acer Aspire 5 Slim Laptop.
One of the best things about this laptop is the battery life. You can be sure that this one will last you for quite a long time, giving you over 15 hours of editing time. You can also upgrade this laptop as it comes with a detachable back cover that you can use to plug in additional storage or memory.
- The price – this is a great budget laptop that you can be sure will give you everything that you need for a decent performance.
- This comes with a great USB port, which will allow you to transfer multiple files at any one time. This is a great laptop for delivering your client high-quality images in super-fast time.
- You have the option to upgrade this model if you want to, which will certainly appeal to editors who can see their workload increasing.
- This comes in a very lightweight design, allowing you to travel across the country without having to worry about your precious files getting damaged.
- This might not be the best laptop if you have more than 100GB of footage that you want to edit.
Acer Aspire 5 Slim Laptop, 15.6 inches Full HD IPS Display, AMD Ryzen 3 3200U, Vega 3 Graphics, 4GB DDR4, 128GB SSD, Backlit Keyboard, Windows 10 in S Mode, A515-43-R19L, Silver
- AMD Ryzen 3 3200U Dual Core Processor (Up to 3.5GHz); 4GB DDR4 Memory; 128GB PCIe NVMe SSD
- 15.6 inches full HD (1920 x 1080) widescreen LED backlit IPS display; AMD Radeon Vega 3 Mobile Graphics
- 1 USB 3.1 Gen 1 port, 2 USB 2.0 ports & 1 HDMI port with HDCP support
- 802.11ac Wi-Fi; Backlit Keyboard; Up to 7.5 hours battery life
- Windows 10 in S mode. Maximum power supply wattage: 65 Watts
HP Envy 17t Touch Quad-Core
This next laptop is great for multitasking, with a nice wide screen that you can use to have multiple timelines open at any one time. This is a fantastic budget unit that is perfect for processing large amounts of data in a very quick time frame. This has impressive memory and processor speed too – introducing the HP Envy 17t Touch Quad Core.
With a high-performing NVIDIA graphics processor and a whopping 512GB of storage, you can be sure that you’ll have everything to get you started when it comes to editing. With GoPro footage, you’ll want to make sure that it can handle the high rendering times as well as having consistent playback without stuttering.
- This can give you a very stable performance, allowing you to edit for many hours without suffering from overheating or playback issues.
- This is a great unit for multitasking, with a large display and hotkeys that you can use to toggle between video editing and sound editing software.
- This machine is fairly compact, so you won’t have to worry about it being dinged on the train or getting crushed in the storage compartment on the bus.
- The SSD storage on this device is probably the best, having enough room for multiple projects to be digitally shelved at any one time.
- The battery life on this machine isn’t great, so you might have to be sure that you’re near a recharging point when you are editing.
HP Envy 17t Touch Quad Core (8th Gen. Intel i7-8550U, 16GB DDR4, 256GB NVMe SSD, NVIDIA GeForce 4GB GDDR5, 17.3″ FHD IPS WLED, DVD Writer, Bluetooth, Windows 10) – Bang & Olufsen Power PC
- 8th Gen Intel Core i7-8550U (1.8 GHz, up to 4 GHz, 8 MB cache, 4 cores), NVIDIA GeForce MX Series Graphics (4 GB GDDR5 dedicated) Graphics
- 17.3″ diagonal FHD IPS WLED-backlit multitouch-enabled edge-to-edge glass (1920 x 1080) Touchscreen Display
- Windows 10 home 64
- HP Wide Vision FHD IR Camera with Dual array digital microphone (Touchscreen)
- Full-size island-style backlit keyboard with numeric keypad
Acer Predator Helios 300
This next laptop is by one of the best manufacturers that you can get on the market, used by both gamers and editing professionals. This is a newer version of an older version of the Helio laptop. It comes with an HD 15.6-inch display, which is great for having numerous project windows open at the same time – introducing the Acer Predator Helios 300.
This is one of the best laptops that you can use for gaming as well as editing. If you fancy yourself as a bit of a whizz with both, then we would certainly recommend this laptop for you. This comes with an HD display that will allow you to work with 4K footage, which is a rarity in a lot of laptops.
- This laptop is designed with a state-of-the-art airflow, which cools your laptop down by around 45%. This is great for running intensive editing software or high-performance games.
- This laptop has a great battery life, allowing you to edit for at least 20 hours at any one time. This is great for anyone who wants to edit and travel at the same time.
- This is a very portable laptop, allowing you to carry it from place to place without much hassle.
- The price – this is a very affordable laptop, perfect if you are a family on a budget or a student who is looking to save a few extra dollars on essentials.
- This is very hard to wield and might not be the most portable laptop on this list. It also doesn’t have the best battery life of some of the laptops on this list.
Acer Predator Helios 300 PH315-54-760S Gaming Laptop | Intel i7-11800H | NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 Laptop GPU | 15.6″ Full HD 144Hz 3ms IPS Display | 16GB DDR4 | 512GB SSD | Killer WiFi 6 | RGB Keyboard
- Extreme Performance: Crush the competition with the impressive power and speed of the 11th Generation Intel Core i7-11800H processor, featuring 8 cores and 16 threads to divide and conquer any task or run your most intensive games
- RTX, It’s On: The latest NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 (6GB dedicated GDDR6 VRAM) is powered by award-winning Ampere architecture with new Ray Tracing Cores, Tensor Cores, and streaming multiprocessors supporting DirectX 12 Ultimate for the ultimate gaming performance
- Blazing-Fast Display: This 15.6″ Full HD (1920 x 1080) IPS LED-backlit display with 16:9 aspect ratio features an incredibly fast 144Hz refresh rate and 3ms Overdrive response time for the gamers who demand the best visual experiences
- Internal Specifications: 16GB DDR4 3200MHz memory (2 DDR4 Slots Total, Maximum 32GB); 512GB PCIe Gen 4 SSD (2 x PCIe M.2 Slots/1 x 2.5″ Hard Drive Bay Available)
- Prioritize Your Gameplay: Intel Killer DoubleShot Pro with Ethernet E2600 and Wi-Fi 6 AX1650i lets you use Wi-Fi and Ethernet at the same time, and have total control over priority traffic to maximize speed, throughput, and control
Asus VivoBook Pro 17
Next up, we have a laptop that comes with plenty of features that will help you to deliver a great final product. This comes with amazing graphics and display, featuring a 17.3-inch color-sensitive screen, which is great if you are looking to color correct your footage – introducing the Asus VivoBook Pro 17.
This comes with an Intel Core i7 processor with an NVIDIA GeForce graphics card, which itself comes with a GPU and 16GB of memory. This also has a great battery made from polymer and lithium, giving you everything that you need for solid performance for months and even years.
- This laptop has a very impressive 17-inch screen, which is perfect for intensive editing jobs or jobs that require you to really zoom in on the detail of an image.
- This comes with a wider screen, making it the perfect option for multiple editing jobs at any one time.
- This comes with an audio jack and some great sound software, so if you want to tinker with the sound on your footage, then this device will help you achieve that.
- This laptop is very lightweight, so lugging it to and from your workplace won’t be a problem. Even if you are working from home, having the luxury of carrying it from one room to another will be important.
- The fan on this one can get noisy, which might be a dealbreaker if you are editing into the night and you don’t want to wake up your family.
ASUS VivoBook Pro 17 Thin and Portable Laptop, 17.3” FHD, 8th Gen Intel Core i7-8565U Processor, NVIDIA GeForce MX150, 8GB DDR4 RAM, 512GB SSD, Backlit Keyboard, Windows 10 – N705FN-ES76
- Latest 8th generation Intel Core i7-8565u 1.8GHz (8M Cache, Turbo up to 4.6GHz) processor for Smooth and uninterrupted 4K UHD playback or encoding
- 17.3” Full HD Wide view display with 72% NTSC color gamut and NVIDIA GeForce MX150 2GB GDDR5 discrete graphics for flawless visuals
- Slim 16.2” wide, 0.8” thin and portable footprint
- 8GB DDR4 RAM and 512GB M.2 SSD storage; ergonomic backlit keyboard with number pad and fingerprint reader
- Comprehensive connections with USB-C (Gen1), USB 3.0 Type-A, USB 2.0, HDMI, & headphone/mic ports for every device
Acer Swift 7 Ultra-Thin Laptop
This final laptop is probably the best when it comes to a lightweight design and running for long hours. This laptop is one of the most resilient out there, made from very durable steel and plastic, you can be sure it will last you for a long time, even if you are repeatedly taking it out on long journeys – introducing Acer Swift 7 Ultra-thin Laptop.
This is great for both video editors and heavy-duty gamers. This is fanless, operating on a low wattage principle, so you won’t have to worry about it waking people up at night. This comes with a 13.5-inch display, which can detach and display your pixels at around 2256 x 1504.
- This comes with a detachable tablet that gives you that added versatility when you are outside of the house and are working and commuting at the same time.
- This is the ideal machine for editing while on the move, as you can operate it with your finger instead of a mouse and keyboard.
- This machine comes with great hardware, making it one of the most powerful tablets that you can currently get on this list.
- This comes with a very powerful graphics card, with 2BG of memory that gives it more than enough for video editing.
- This is not one to use for heavy-duty gaming, as it will struggle to render some of the more pixel-heavy graphics.
When you are buying a laptop for editing, you won’t be able to cut back on some of the hardware, although you can find decent hardware for a low price. This all depends on how much footage you’ll be rendering with your laptop. Here is a list of a few things to consider when picking up a laptop:
How Impressive Is The Graphics Card?
If you are choosing to render on programs such as Adobe Premiere, then you’ll be looking at the onboard GPU of your graphics card. This is what will dictate the overall performance of your laptop, as well as the speed and rendering power. With a good GPU, you’ll find the rendering times massively reduced.
The reason that we would recommend that NVIDIA card is that they come with what is called CUDA core. The higher CUDA core that you have, then the chances are that your computer will be able to render your graphics card super-fast.
How Much Memory Does It Have?
The more memory that you have, the more that you’ll be able to multitask. Sometimes it will be very useful to have multiple windows open at any one time. It is also useful if you are editing sound and exporting it to your video editing software.
Frequently Asked Questions
How Much Storage Space Should You Have?
We would recommend that you opt for 7200RPM of SSD or HDD. GoPro footage can take up a lot of room on your laptop, so a solid-state drive will not only guarantee you ease of storage but will also increase the overall speed and performance of your laptop.
You should also have the ability to upgrade your laptop when you need to. This will usually come at the back of the laptop with a detachable panel that you can use to install more memory.
What’s The Best Display For Your GoPro Video Editing?
Having at least 15-inches of a monitor will put you head and shoulders above the rest when it comes to video editing. A larger laptop will guarantee you the ability to be able to render high-definition footage, as well as giving you true-color image quality and high definition pixel count.
If you are serious about your editing, you might want to have a look at some of the 4K monitors that are on the market. However, these will always be more expensive than a standard model.