If you are rendering graphics, then you’ll need a laptop with a top-notch graphics card. A good graphics card will need to come with a decent CPU and plenty of RAM. If you are going to be carrying around your laptop, you’ll also want something that can withstand the repeated knocks and bangs of traveling.
You’ll also want dedicated DDR4 storage space so that you can have a place to store and run some of the most heavy-duty .exe’s that you can currently find on the market. Another major sell will be the price point, as you’ll want something relatively cheap that effectively pays for itself.
So where can you find the best laptops for the Revit app? What features should a laptop for 3D modeling have? What materials should it be made out of? How much will you have to pay for a decent laptop for modeling?
Well, if you want the answers to these questions and a whole lot more, then we would suggest that you keep reading. Once you have finished this page, you’ll have everything that you need to know about this style of laptop. We also have a buyer’s guide that will certainly help you when you are shopping for the next laptop for your needs.
Review of Laptops For Revit
MSI GL65 Gaming Laptop
Our first laptop is extremely reliant, giving you everything that you need for good running power as well as a decent memory. It comes with the classic Intel Core i7 CPU, with an impressive 2.6GHz of memory. You can be sure that this will give you fast rendering times and quick results – introducing MSI GL65 Gaming Laptop.
This laptop also comes with plenty of room, giving you everything that you need for a smooth operating time. You can store lots of files on this laptop, allowing you the luxury of running .exe files very quickly and at the same time. Revit takes up a lot of processor memory, but this gaming laptop is more than fit enough to handle the rendering speed.
- This has an Intel processor that comes with a lot of speed. It has a 10th generation Intel processor, which is very important for rendering graphics at a very high rate.
- This laptop comes with 16GB of RAM, although you do have the option of upgrading it to 64GB if you want more power.
- This has a very high-powered gaming performance, so you’ll have more than enough when it comes to having enhanced graphics and multiple model images at the same time.
- This graphics processor is one of the best that you can get on a laptop, which is why so many people are drawn to this model.
- This does not contain any high-speed USB ports, which might become an issue when you are transferring data from one computer to another.
MSI GL65 Gaming Laptop: 15.6″ Display, Intel Core i5-10300H, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1650, 16GB RAM, 512GB NVMe SSD, Win10, Black (10SCXK-211)
- Pushing Power: The 10th Gen. Intel Core i5 processor, delivers high performance to take on any games and applications with ease
- Supercharged Graphics: The MSI GL65 is powered by NVIDIA GeForce graphics, take on today’s most popular games with these performance graphics
- On the Go Gaming: Designed to be thin and light for gamers to carry around every day for games, study, or work
- Cool and Powerful: MSI’s exclusive Cooler Boost Technology ensures optimal thermal dissipation. Featuring 2 fans and 6 heat pipes, get the airflow you needfor gaming
- Customized Keys: Customize each key to your liking and receive real-time in-game status through keyboard lighting, or even watch the lights dance to your favorite tune
Acer Predator Helios
This next laptop is another one designed for high-intensive gaming that can be well adapted for 3D model rendering. This comes with a powerful processor memory, which is more than suitable enough to deal with multiple graphics at any one time.
A lot of laptop memory does not have the processor power to deal with the intensive rendering needed by 3D modeling – introducing Acer Predator Helios.
This laptop is also great if you are on a budget, coming with everything that you need for a decent 5.0 GHz speed. This comes with a very powerful NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 GPU, which has a dedicated VRAM to help you have a smooth rotation of your 3D models. This is also great for running numerous models at the same time.
- This laptop could be described as a mid-range model, giving you everything that you need for a powerful rendering device.
- This comes with an HD display with backlighting that will not strain your eyes. This laptop is probably one of the best when it comes to illumination and focus.
- This comes with a 144Hz refresh rate, which is very important when it comes to downloading, storing and running your complex .exe documents.
- If you want to run your Revit software with other programs, then you will be able to do that effortlessly with this program.
- If you overclock your VRAM, then you might expect your laptop to burn out after an extended period. This will eventually cause the laptop to run a lot slower.
Acer Predator Helios 300 PH315-54-760S Gaming Laptop | Intel i7-11800H | NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 Laptop GPU | 15.6″ Full HD 144Hz 3ms IPS Display | 16GB DDR4 | 512GB SSD | Killer WiFi 6 | RGB Keyboard
- Extreme Performance: Crush the competition with the impressive power and speed of the 11th Generation Intel Core i7-11800H processor, featuring 8 cores and 16 threads to divide and conquer any task or run your most intensive games
- RTX, It’s On: The latest NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 (6GB dedicated GDDR6 VRAM) is powered by award-winning Ampere architecture with new Ray Tracing Cores, Tensor Cores, and streaming multiprocessors supporting DirectX 12 Ultimate for the ultimate gaming performance
- Blazing-Fast Display: This 15.6″ Full HD (1920 x 1080) IPS LED-backlit display with 16:9 aspect ratio features an incredibly fast 144Hz refresh rate and 3ms Overdrive response time for the gamers who demand the best visual experiences
- Internal Specifications: 16GB DDR4 3200MHz memory (2 DDR4 Slots Total, Maximum 32GB); 512GB PCIe Gen 4 SSD (2 x PCIe M.2 Slots/1 x 2.5″ Hard Drive Bay Available)
- Prioritize Your Gameplay: Intel Killer DoubleShot Pro with Ethernet E2600 and Wi-Fi 6 AX1650i lets you use Wi-Fi and Ethernet at the same time, and have total control over priority traffic to maximize speed, throughput, and control
Microsoft Surface Book 2
This next laptop comes with an 8th Gen Intel Core i7, which has a quad-core processor that will help you to speed up to 4.20 GHz. This comes with a 256GB SSD graphics card that will certainly be able to handle the high-pixel rate that comes with a lot of 3D modeling.
Wrap it up in a durable exterior and you’ve got everything you need for a functional, long-lasting laptop – introducing the Microsoft Surface Book 2.
Inside this laptop, you’ll find all the functions that you’ll need to get your 3D modeling done, with an NVIDIA graphics card that will help you to run a lot of heavy .exe files. This comes with 13.5 inches of screen, with a multitouch system that will allow you more precision when it comes to your 3D modeling.
- This comes with a powerful Intel Quad-Core processor, which is extremely useful for performing multiple tasks at once.
- This comes with a lot of different accessories such as Precision Mouse and Surface Pen, both of which you can use for that top-notch, precise level of accuracy over your drawing.
- This has a powerful NVIDIA graphics card, probably one of the best on the market when it comes to controlling your modeling and delivering a well-rendered product.
- You can convert this laptop into 4 amazing modes – laptop, tablet, studio and view – each of which you can use to complete your task with a higher level of professionalism.
- If you have an older version of this Windows software, then you might experience some difficulty when it comes to syncing it with updates that Microsoft releases sporadically.
Microsoft Surface Book 2 (Intel Core i7, 16GB RAM, 256GB) – 15in (Renewed)
- Microsoft Surface Book 2 Features a 8th generation Intel Quad Core i7 Processor, 256 GB of storage, 16 GB RAM, and up to 17 hours of video playback
- Enhanced Graphics performance with NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 discrete GPU w/6GB GDDR5 Graphics Memory
- The fastest Surface Book yet, with 4x more power
- Vibrant PixelSense Display: now available with a new 15″ touchscreen
HP Pavilion 15 Laptop
This next laptop is known for its spacious capacity, with a dual memory processor and an 11th Gen iCore processor. This is perfect if you want to use your laptop for 3D modeling and intense graphics-sapping gaming. This has a 15.6-inch screen that will give you plenty of scope to view even the smallest details – introducing HP Pavillion 15 Laptop.
Whether you are using your laptop to view movies, games or work, you couldn’t have a better laptop suited to the task. The display on this machine is amazing, coming in crystal clear true color. It also comes with impressive data that you can be sure will load and store some of the most heavy-duty .exe apps.
- This comes with a dual quad-core processor, which will give you plenty of power to run even the most graphics-intensive programs.
- You have a precision touchpad with this laptop, allowing you to spin, mold and amend your model so that you can deliver a product with the utmost accuracy.
- This laptop is very lightweight, not only is it portable, but it will not take up too much room in your overhead storage compartment.
- This comes with some great connectivity, you can easily hook it up to whatever wifi is in the vicinity. This is great if you need to upload a model to your cloud and all you have to hand is the Starbucks wifi.
- You won’t get any additional RAM with your graphics card, making it a poorer-performing laptop than some of the others that you might find on the market.
HP Pavilion 15 Laptop, 11th Gen Intel Core i7-1165G7 Processor, 16 GB RAM, 512 GB SSD Storage, Full HD IPS micro-edge Display, Windows 10 Pro, Compact Design, Long Battery Life (15-eg0021nr, 2020)
- INSTANT GRATIFICATION – Experience a laptop with premium performance, so you can spend less time getting more done; it’s like a small PC that’s compact enough to go where you go with a long-lasting battery to power you through your day
- EPIC ENTERTAINMENT – With audio by B&O, a larger screen-to-body ratio, and a 15.6-inch Full HD micro-edged screen to maximize your view, entertainment on your laptop feels like bringing the theater home (1)
- IMPRESSIVE GRAPHICS – The Intel Iris Xe Graphics gives you a new level of graphics performance with crisp, stunning visuals, plus the convenience of a thin and light laptop (2)
- UNSTOPPABLE PERFORMANCE – Get things done fast with the 11th Generation Intel Core i7-1165G7 processor, which delivers instant responsiveness and best-in-class connectivity (3)
- MEMORY AND STORAGE – Enjoy up to 15x faster performance than a traditional hard drive with 512 GB PCIe NVMe M.2 SSD storage (4) and experience improved multitasking with higher bandwidth thanks to 16 GB of RAM
Lenovo IdeaPad Flex 5
This final laptop is one of the best in terms of CPU memory. It will give you a high level of processing power, which is perfect for rendering graphics and 3D modeling. This should be one of your first choices when it comes to 3D modeling, as it has all the features that you’ll need to deliver a professional final product – introducing Lenovo IdeaPad Flex 5.
This laptop gives you everything you need for running labor-intensive apps at a super-fast speed. You can download plenty of plugins with this laptop too, with programs that are purpose-built to run with Revit, including apps for editing and revising existing models. You can download these plugins very quickly, even on public wifi.
- This comes with an active digital pen that you can use to shape, transform and enlarge your model.
- This comes with an easily rechargeable Lithium battery that you can use to quickly charge this laptop. Charging time will matter if you are out of the office and have to meet a deadline.
- This also runs in 4 different modes – laptop, tablet, tent and stand mode. You can operate this at many different angles, which is great for reducing workplace soreness.
- This has a dedicated 16GB memory and 256GB storage, which really is the premium when it comes to laptop space and power.
- Some of these models might not have the fully updated versions of Windows, so you might have to download and install them separately.
2021 Newest Lenovo IdeaPad Flex 5 14.0″ 2-in-1 Laptop, FHD IPS Touchscreen, AMD Ryzen 3 5300U 4-Core (up to 3.80 GHz), 4GB RAM, 256GB NVMe SSD, Fingerprint, Webcam, HDMI, Win10 S w/GM Accessories
- 【AMD Ryzen 3 5300U】2.60 GHz, Max Boost up to 3.80 GHz, 4 Cores, 8 Threads, 4 MB Cache. Equipped with AMD Ryzen 3 5300U processor and speedy connectivity.
- 【14” FHD Display】14″ Full HD (1920×1080) IPS Anti-Glare Narrow Bezel Display. Watch what you love in all its clarity with detail and saturated colors from edge to edge thanks to the 14″ FHD display.
- 【4GB RAM】Adequate high-bandwidth RAM to smoothly run multiple applications and browser tabs at the same time. It gives you enormous space to save all of your files. Enhance the overall performance of the laptop for business, student, daily usage.
- 【Upgraded to 256GB NVMe SSD】Get up to 15x faster performance than a traditional hard drive. Original Seal is opened for upgrade ONLY. Ghost Manta Accessories including HDMI Cable, USB extension cord and Mouse Pad.
- Windows 10 in S mode is designed for security and performance, exclusively running apps from the Microsoft Store. If you want to install an app that isn’t available in the Microsoft Store, you’ll need to switch out of S mode. Switching out of S mode is one-way. If you make the switch, you won’t be able to go back to Windows 10 in S mode. There’s no charge to switch out of S mode.
If you are working with a graphics-intensive program such as Revit, then there are a few basic things that you’ll want from your laptop. One of the major features that you’ll be looking for is the graphics and the processor speed. Here are a few things you should be mindful of when shopping for a new laptop:
How Good Is The Graphics Card?
This is one of the most important things that you’ll need to source for a good laptop. Not only does this help you to render your model quicker, but it will also help you to design your projects without stuttering or glitches.
The difference between a good project and a great project will often be how well you can view the model itself in your viewing window. If you have a model that is suffering from glitches, then you can guarantee that you’ll be turning in a substandard product to a client, which might cause you to lose work.
How Fast Is the CPU?
This will go in tandem with your graphics card, as this is the thing that you’ll need to plug it into. The processor will affect how well the graphics card can operate and it will give you everything that you need for a smooth operation.
The CPU will also resolve any stuttering issues, which will be very handy when it comes down to rendering, having a truly realistic representation of your project.
Frequently Asked Question
What Specs Does Revit Need To Run On Your Laptop?
Here are the following minimum requirements for running your Revit system:
- Operating System – 64 bit Microsoft Windows 10
- CPU Type – single/Multi-Core/Xeon or iSeries processor
- Memory – 8GB RAM
- Video display resolution and Video Adapter
You’ll need at least this as a minimum for your Revit software to work. If you have less than this, then you can expect your system to start glitching and maybe even crash repeatedly.
Some users have asked whether this software will run on 16GB RAM. It certainly will, although if you are running multiple projects at once, you might experience some stuttering and audio latency.