This guideline will stroll you via the basic principles of applying the ps command to track down unique data about the system.
Standard Prime Utility Utilization
To start the top rated utility, use the top command in the terminal. Using this command will spawn an interactive session displaying technique source use and running processes:
The upper aspect demonstrates the useful resource use. This output is similar to that of uptime and the no cost command in Linux.
To convert these values off, press “m” to disguise the memory use facts and “l” to disguise the uptime info.
To scroll as a result of the operating processes, use the up and down arrow vital. To quit, push “Q”.
The decreased part of top command contains information and facts about running processes. Let us focus on this.
The output utilizes a column-based business, with an identifier on each:
- PID: This column displays the unique ID of just about every approach.
- PR: This column exhibits the precedence of the activity.
- NI: This column exhibits the good value of the process. A optimistic value indicates low precedence, although a adverse value suggests high priority.
- VIRT: This column represents the full digital memory utilized by the process.
- RES: This column reveals the overall actual memory utilised by the approach.
- SHR: This column reveals the complete amount of shared memory applied by the method.
- S: This column reveals the system point out in a one letter.
- %CPU: This column demonstrates proportion CPU usage per method.
- %MEM: This column exhibits percentage Memory utilization.
- TIME+: This column exhibits CPU time employed by the course of action calculated to hundredths of a 2nd.
- COMMAND: This column demonstrates the procedure title.
How to Make Best Filter Procedures by Memory Utilization
You can also filter processes by memory use in leading. To do this, push Change + m as demonstrated:
Leading will filter the procedures by memory use in descending buy. Accomplishing this can enable discover the approach employing the most memory, providing you a probability to get action.
To filter by actual memory utilization, use the command:
In the same way, the command will filter the memory usage in descending order.
You can also interactively opt for the filter parameter. To do this, press Change + F and decide on MEM as:
How to Filter System by User
To show processes from a unique user, use the command:
For illustration, to clearly show procedures from the ubuntu user enter the command:
How to Display the Dad or mum and Kid Processes
To demonstrate the mum or dad and baby processes though leading is jogging, push V. This will give you an output equivalent to the 1 shown under:
How to Eliminate All Procedures
To eliminate a approach in major, push k and enter the PID of the system.
Push enter to execute the kill command. This will terminate the approach with the specified PID.
Top rated is a useful utility that helps make it attainable to realize and control the Linux System processes. Other than what we have talked over in this tutorial, prime has tons of other functionalities.
To realize how you can customise and use major to its comprehensive possible, take into consideration the manuals.